Saturday, June 22, 2013

Simplicity at its Finest

I am not part of Tamaraw Volunteers or V4Change like most of the people who joined the Dumagat Immersion last June 1 and 2, 2013. I think that factor makes my experience more memorable and unforgettable. First, I accept the invitation with hesitance because in two days, I will be with group of new people knowing only two of them. But still, I said yes. Why? Because I had fun in P7 and I miss the nature of mountain climbing, camping, adventure and helping people who are in need of help. It was also one of my advocacies since Elementary and High School days wherein I also join different organizations alike.

            It is not hard to get along with new people I meet. I spent almost half of my day walking up and down in four slippery mountains while talking and listening to them. I enjoyed looking at different sceneries of nature and feeling the fresh air that Manila no longer has to offer. There are also challenges in the course that boosts are spirits to continue walking. It is tiring yet there is something that makes all of us wanting to finish that very long walk. And we did it! We finally reach the camp where other volunteers and Dumagats welcome us with big smiles in their face.

            We rest for awhile and eat sopas and sinigang na corned beef. I can’t imagine it is possible until I ate it. J We bid for different tasks whether we will do it or we will lose points. Both teams are doing agreement before bidding that makes some of the task will be done by both teams. It is not hard because all of us have initiative to help each other whether it is our teammate or not. And I can see that the organization I came to know treat each other as a family and I am happy to see them like that.

            It is time to make Dumagat smile. We play different games and interact with Dumagat children. It is nice to see them smile and hear their laugh. They participate in every game competitively and actively. At the end, it is not about whose team is winning; it is about their simple smile and sense of fun and enjoyment in very simple way.

            It’s getting darker and setting up the bonfire will be of great help. Some dance, some sing and some share different stories. Stories from volunteers who keep on coming back, first timer volunteers and stories from Dumagat people that made me realize that the advocacy of this organization is no joke. They touch lives and they improve lives of the Dumagat community. They help not just to say that they helped or they done good or they have successful project but rather they help because they already loved the people in that community. They established strong bond and trust with the people living there. Most of us help people once or twice but what I can see there is that they will help them until they are capable to do so. And it means, endless.

            I realized many things in this immersion. How thankful I am to have comforts, life has to offer. Before they can drink water, they should carry their container in a steep course. While me, I’ll just go to our kitchen and get very refreshing water. Before washing plates, they must go down in slippery road. While me, I don’t even wash plates because someone will do it for me. Before they can take a bath, they should go to a very difficult way; once you fall you will be dead. But me, I’ll just open the shower and that’s it. Thay can pee and poo everywhere. While me, I can’t imagine life without comfort rooms. There are no gas stove, they just use uling and logs to cook their meal. While me, lazy to cook my food using stove. There are no electric fans, aircons, light bulb and electricity but still they can survive. While me, complaining every time there is massive brown out. They don’t have telephone or cell phone yet they can still communicate with each other. While me, I have more than one phone. Before they can study, they should walk a rocky way. But me, I can ride a jeepney, taxi, LRT or even by our car. Most of them cannot finish their education due to lack of resources and lack of proper education. But me, I can choose what school I want to enroll to.


Maybe I am lucky to have this kind of life, but they are blessed to have theirs because by nature God gave them everything they need and preserve them in a community where love, peace, camaraderie, trust and equality are obviously present. They cannot ask for more because they are contented at the same time satisfied in their simple life. If I will be given another opportunity to be part of Dumagat immersion, I would love to for here I can enjoy SIMPLICITY AT ITS FINEST.

Rudee Mae Carnaje, 2013

Disclaimer: We got the permission to post this online from its author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment