Saturday, June 22, 2013

Crossing Both Roads

“Two roads diverged in yellow woods, and I, I took the road less traveled by.”- Robert Frost

I don’t want to get used to it

Sometimes, even if how much we love the things we give importance to, there will come a time wherein we get tired of a scenario that keeps on happening still.  It might be a cause of quitting the challenge, but that doesn’t mean that you love it less. It’s just that some times in our lives we become weak because of the unchanging results of these things, and we have to admit it to ourselves—we are but humans too.

Even before the exact date was settled, I really thought of joining the immersion. I said to myself that it would be a great experience going there, so why not try asking my parents’ permission to allow me to go there.

In the middle of May, there are some unexpected things that happened which I think such circumstance put me into test. I ended up questioning, why of all people it’s me who have to experience this kind of hardship? It could be anyone from us, but why me? I never asked of this to happen on me the first place.

After dealing with some things, I thought of not joining the immersion. I said to myself that I need a rest. I need to recuperate from all these things. I need to find a reason to feel that this thing really is for me.

No matter how melodramatic these things may sound, I really felt it during those times. I felt the need of me to retrace the past, to find out why I’m doing this; why I’m still doing this right now; why I’m not yet quitting even if how much I wanted to.

What made me decide to go?

I told myself I wouldn’t go, not until God would give me a sign that says I have to, but I think it’s really God’s will for me to go there, so that I may observe how these indigenous people called Dumagats live and that I may have the chance to interact with them.

It was kuya JL who became my sign if I would go or not. Most of us know how choosy he is on some things, how he wants everything to be on its proper place and so on, but the mere fact that he decided to join the immersion is somewhat like a miracle to me—to us. It’s something that’s really unexpected of him. It’s something that made me decide to join the Dumagat Immersion.

I would admit that at that moment, the reason I had before of going there is no longer the reason why I decided to go there. The reason of thinking what good thing I can do for these people, is no longer my purpose of going there. I just wanted to bond with my co-officers—that’s all.

Going through it without expecting anything
I’m the type of person wherein I do not expect things to happen. I just go with the flow of life, and let the aftermath happen. Nobody can count on me to expect on things.

It was the 31st of May when I traveled from our house in Bulacan to our Dormitory at P. Noval. Paula, ate Gian, Wil, and I decided to spend the night there so that by four in the morning, we’re all settled to go at our meeting place.

I did not know that Justin would also come with us, and will also spend the night with us there. While we’re waiting for him, the four of us decided to go to Divisoria to buy some things we thought we might need on our way there—to Sitio Malasya.

Remembering the tips Kuya Ago, Kuya Michael, and Ate Zandy gave us; we bought lots of foods and even toiletries, plastics for our things not to get wet, and so on. We spent almost a thousand for all of those stuffs.

I must say I’m really excited to bond with them. I totally forgot our main purpose of going there.

We’ve arrived by ten thirty in the evening in our dorm. Ate Gian and Wil decided to visit KD with Migs, which left Paula and I there.

Justin arrived at eleven; a little later the two also arrived back.

We decided to compute our expenses so that we may know the number of money we have to contribute as each others’ share on the things we’ve bought.

At twelve thirty in the morning, we all decided to sleep.

We all woke up at three in the morning, and left the dorm by four after fixing some things.

We have arrived at Gateway, Cubao by five thirty and still wait for the others in just few minutes.

We rode two jeepneys and a tricycle just to go to Calawis—the starting point of our journey for hours.

Just like what I have said before, I do not expect anything to happen. I just go with the flow of life and let the aftermath happen. I never thought that this journey would leave me so much learnings and will make me realize something more about life.

The real story

I have traveled both roads: the city and those rocky mountains, and I must say that I have seen their differences.

The city contains all the resources I need to survive in this cruel life we have. There are different stores from side to side to buy all of my necessities and luxuries whereas in those rocky mountains I traveled with my companions, there are but a few. No big supermarkets and all; just sari-sari stores that are apart from each other.

As we go forth on our journey, I decided to go a little distant from the people I am with. I could have paid attention to their different stories, but decided not to. I want to observe, appreciate, and feel the beauty of nature by myself.

Going through mountains and rivers, I suddenly realized how blessed I am for having almost all the comforts of life. I might love the simplicity of the mountain life, but as a person who lives in the city it would be difficult for me to learn to live there even if how much I wanted to.

It seems my mind has somehow been corrupted by the advancement of technologies in the city—technologies you won’t get to see there.

It’s quite ironic how I hate how technology goes bigger and better than it was before, yet I’m looking for its comfort to bring me fast to Sitio Malasya where everybody awaits us.

I came to realized how much these indigenous people need to be honored for their patience. I’ve been complaining how tired I am in walking for hours, but them? They do not complain going down from Sitio Malasya to Calawis Elementary School just to attend the Pasko ng Pagbabahagi every December.

What’s tiring to some is a blessing these Dumagats do not want to let go of—it’s an opportunity they would dare to grab immediately. It’s quite impressing right? At the same time, I felt ashamed of myself. There are some things that are already given to me, but I never try to appreciate it. Instead, I take it for granted. I keep on being a stubborn kid who always complains why things must be given to me when I never asked of it.

At Sitio Malasya

We’re already at Sitio Malasya, when ate Jedda suddenly asked why Malasya is called Malasya. I have not yet read this article kuya Keiji wrote about why such place is called Malasya, but trying to answer the question I said, “kasi MALA—yo SSSSiYA”. Almost everybody laughs, but ate Jedda said my answer is wrong. The place was called Malasya because before, it was believed that such place is cursed of having bad luck, so from the words, ‘MALAS SIYA’ it was termed, ‘MALASYA’. Whatever it is, I do not believe that Sitio Malasya is somewhat like a bad luck place.

To me, Sitio Malasya is another foreign place that made me realize that having a better life means teaching these people to foster not much of what we have in the city, but a little that would really help them grow and have better lives as well—lives that might be better than what we have in the city; lives with lesser complications.

I will no longer elaborate the different tasks and activities we had there, but to me, seeing how some people change and learn to interact with different people, and even observed how these Dumagat kids smile before us really do touched my heart.
It made me feel happy, and realized that there isn’t much time wasted the moment I decided to join the immersion.

Enjoying the time doesn’t mean all is on a positive atmosphere. There are some things I have observed in some Dumagat kids which I didn’t get to like. Rendel, and Bentong, two of the Dumagat kids are both belittled by their playmates during our activity time with them. I have observed how some Dumagat kids told these two how they are not good at play time, and must not be allowed to join on the said activity. Some Dumagat kids keep pushing them at the back for they believe that they will just lose the game if they front the two.

This scenario is something not new to all. It has happened before and if not to me; it has happened to others.

As a person, as a Catholic, and as a Psychology major, I do not want to see something like that. It’s something that broke my heart. I just can’t imagine that such scenario is also possible to these indigenous people, and for that reason an idea immediately popped out my mind.

I think these kids need not just have basic literacy projects. All of those are easily learned at the classroom. They already have a school. I think TamVol needs to focus on teaching them the right values they have to observe until they become full grown up.

It’s just like, what is having a high intellect if you did not learn values the first place. To me, value is more important than the education we know; because, value is the core of our lives. It’s the one that shapes us. It forms us to become better individuals.

On our way back home

I went there, I learned, I enjoyed, and I hope I left them some good memories to keep.

The journey might not have changed me the way I thought it would, but then at least it gave me a lot of realization.

It made me realized how life must be valued and not be taken for granted.

On our way back home, it didn’t answer why it must be me who needs to experience all the things I’m experiencing right now, but then in due time I know it would be answered.

I’ve traveled both roads: the city and those rocky mountains, and I have seen their differences.

I must say, the moment I tried to travel those rocky mountains, was one of the greatest decision that I’ve ever made in my life. It might be a tiring journey, but at the end of the day it was all worth it.

Some people made me sad, some made me happy, and some never made me feel anything at all.

Along our journey I keep on wondering by myself about things some people would not have thought. It might cause me pain or joy, but those thoughts are the best thoughts I would keep into my heart forever.


Two roads I’ve traveled, and I think I have to say that I’d cross both roads again if it would mean I would travel to change both my heart and others’ as well.


by: C.M.Ventura (06/09/13)

Disclaimer: We got the permission to publish this online from its author

No comments:

Post a Comment