Friday, July 12, 2013

Rossking’s CSR for OSY, Deak Kids Tell Me I’m Over-Blessed


When I received a letter from the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) informing me that I passed the agency’s scholarship examination, I realized that I was about to use taxpayers’ money for my education and should pay afterwards.

Years after, I found myself working with an IT company that is very willing to improve the educational system of the country. It delights my heart to be part of the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) team coordinating with my own folks to bring hope to Filipino youth.
Since 2011, I have been working as a Public Relations staff of Rossking Pty. Ltd., the Philippine headquarter of New Media Services. The Australian company delivers online moderation services, customer support services, web design and development, business platforms and web content production services to a good number of companies across the globe.






After finishing college with the help of people’s taxes, I always think of doing efforts to repay my debts. Being part of the company’s CRS team is the answer.
In 2012, we hosted a three-day football clinic to out of school youths who are attending an Alternative Learning System program in La Trinidad, Benguet. Since I can speak in Ilocano and Kankanaey, I was able to interact with the beneficiaries.
I spoke to the beneficiaries and heard their stories. There was this guy who told me that his father died early so he had to work for his family.

I felt I was very lucky that both of my parents are alive and I do not have to suffer what he is experiencing. I was very thankful that I passed the scholarship examination.
Until now, Rossking Pty. Ltd. is paying a football coach to teach these out of school youths to play football and apply sports lessons in their lives.
Months after, we started a five-year plan with Special Education (SPED) Center Baguio to upgrade the learning condition of deaf kids in the school.
In fact, Martin Eyking, the soft-hearted owner of New Media Services, has a child who belongs to the deaf community in Australia. He always becomes emotional when we talk about his son.

For how many times, I have been tasked to coordinate with the department of the deaf kids. And every time I go there, I learn new things and deepen my ties with them.

There must be communication barriers but I can feel the joy in their hearts every time we appear and announce good news to them. Their teachers act as our sign language interpreters for them. 

At first, Rossking Pty. Ltd. donated free website, Wi-Fi connection and some Christmas treats. When the previous school year ended, we renovated three classrooms then installed lighting fixtures, shelves and some customized materials for deaf learners.
Every time I step inside their classrooms, I always realize how grateful I am for having a complete body. I learn to appreciate my two eyes, two hands and my ability to think normally.

What I love about the CSR of Rossking Pty. Ltd. is that it involves its employees. All of us in the company may join the campaign freely in the field if we wish to.
For the record, I never missed any CSR activity. During the football clinic, I was in my football attire interacting with the children (some of them are even older than I am). When the renovation of three classrooms at SPED Center Baguio started, I joined other employees using construction tools to remove the flooring of one of the rooms.
I strengthened my relationship with my workmates who showed the other side of them while interacting with the underprivileged kids. Until now, the biggest surprise for me is to know that one of our workmates finished her studies through an ALS program because she fell in love early.


CSR may be a tool for PR. But on top of that, it is one of the best instruments to let your employees appreciate what they have.


Author Bio:
Christian Lizardo Aligo
Christian Lizardo Aligo is a Public Relations practitioner working for Rossking Pty Ltd, the Philippine headquarter of IT firm New Media Services. Born and raised in Sagada, Mountain Province, he is a proud Igorot who considers himself an essentialist brain, moderate activist, a corporate slave and a classical music fan.

Links:
New Media Services CARES Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/nmscares
Rossking Website: http://rossking.com.au/
Special Education Center website: http://baguiosped.com/
Christian Lizardo Aligo blog: http://www.christianlizardoaligo.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment