Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Technically Irrelevant to CSR

The story I am to tell you does not actually depict an exact match to the literal definition of Corporate Social Responsibility, although to an extent, I tried to muster the setting and the actions done as close in relation to Corporate Social Responsibility.

                 As a business administration student, I’ve been brand-ironed to not only have a Vision/Mission statement for every course, task and group I take and be integral to it, but also to realistically act as if I’m the boss in everything I’m in. The boss part wasn’t much of a surprise since it’s already been conditioned and just waiting to be realized, and also an obligation for my career, but a reminder to such things can do really well no matter how much you are aware. It stuck to me and it went long ways. I started to treat almost everything professionally, as if it can also be productive to emotions. I realized it couldn’t mix, of course, in which I had to change. I was in that process but I didn’t take away too much principles I’ve been running along with such as treating myself as a company with a Vision/Mission statement based partly on my advocacies and personal philanthropies. “Everything has to be integral, as much as possible", I always said to myself and to my friends a pinch from the effect of working as a group. Okay, maybe it didn’t change too much. Though, technically, such things are called as principles when we’re not being professional. It doesn’t differ too much, really, nor did it stop me from treating the things I do professionally, even though it might not look it (It’ll be my little secret).

            As I said, “Everything has to be integral, as much as possible”, temptations began to arise out of nowhere as if those words were a trigger, and it made it really hard for me to say no to things that can really distort my principles and personal philanthropy. It got really stubborn in some point until I gave in and relied to my impulsive attitude of heading the other direction. Specifically in this story, it meant that I take temptations as opportunities even though the temptation will cling itself to you like an effective narcissistic diva, urging you take the easy way out, the way of temptation. But opportunities or temptations, none will be considered when faced with an occurrence that requires you to respond, in which, an occurrence I reluctantly share to you for so many reasons based from my principles.

            My routine for going home from school was usually a walk and sometimes a stop to rest at Sacred Heart Parish (Makati) before I head on to the destination. For me, the place itself, Sacred heart Parish, and not the administration, seemed to be consistently presenting various ways of assessing your reaction to what they present that is to be either temptation or opportunity. So far, I’ve considered quite a number of temptations as I failed to take them as opportunities, but the effect of committing to an opportunity for the humanitarian welfare always seemed to bush off that guilt when you neglect an opportunity. Basically, what I mean is, opportunities are taken, usually known for a founded purpose whatever is right for you. Temptations are to be yielded when the bad side of your moral crisis seems to have made you succumb to it more. So far, for me, with no intention of bragging, everything were dealt as opportunities, except so far, for one.

            Around early June 2014, as I did my usual walk after school, I thought I could stop by and rest at Sacred Heart Parish since it was quite hot as usual, and not to mention twice as hot since I was sporting corporate attire for the day. I first sat at the bench inside the area and enjoyed the air brushing through my face and thought that I should head on inside the church. I roamed around for a bit and before entering the side entrance of the church, I saw what I presumed as a father with a very fragile looking son. The father and I exchanged looks which directly meant that the father and his son weren’t the only ones who knew that they needed help. I looked away, as if I accidentally placed my eyes on them, not because I didn’t want to help, but because I was certain that I couldn’t give enough. I have just recently bought supplies and printed surveys needed for my courses, but such reluctance didn’t shrug itself easy given the appropriate excuses. I entered the church and sat at the church bench just behind them, but on the other end. I did my usual prayers, but it was just to soak up some confidence of approaching besides some assessment on whether to give or not. Reasons spoke up as to why I shouldn’t; temptations. Reasons spoke up as to why I should: opportunities. But there was one other thing that just crashes and is as effective as a literal crash. That other thing just couldn’t be defined, but can be done so through actions only. I didn’t feel as if it was an opportunity, neither a responsibility, but my personal desire. I didn’t need reasons to back me up, I couldn’t think of recognition as appropriate for it, as we do when opportunities as in stake. Gradually, it led my body only to realize what had awaken from me which controls my movements was spontaneity, and an internal control that was hard to stop or too good to cease which was desire. I had tilted my head to where they supposedly were and saw that they’ve fled, but not have gotten far. I found them at the adoration chapel, with quite a number of people inside. When most of them had gone, I went inside and sat down at the top of the shoe shelf. I saw him, distraught, beat up, worried and tired. I clenched my fists thinking that no man deserves to be what I’ve just seen, until I thought about what their reasons could be, until the intensity has stopped me from thinking more. I walked up to him as he raised his hands at chest level with an open palm and tried to explain to me the situation, opening the medical envelope which was too hurtful for me to have him continue as I said, “I’m sorry, but this is all I could give.” I gave him all the money I had left at the time and I knew it wasn’t enough. I gave him an amount less than 200 Pesos. “I wish I could give more, Kuya, but this is all I really have.” I told him. I then asked him for his name and he explained the situation. His name was Jesus and his son’s name was Christian. His son needed to be injected to at least suppress his bad condition in a “good-enough” amount of time until they could save enough to have it cured. He told me his story, a story that serves as an example and a reason how it couldn’t be much harder for us than he has it. His wife died not too far from 3 years as I recall, and he had just recently lost his job, already applied for a new one which he has been promised as long he was willing to wait for about 2 months. I asked him how much he needed, and he answered 800 pesos. It was feasible for me to offer that kind of money but my reluctance to where I’ve spent my money no matter how important had not yet waivered. I couldn’t much remember what had happened since this is the first time I’ve only gone through it again, as I do not really like remembering most of the good things I’ve done out of heart nor sharing it to people. He had told me his gratitude and a couple of some traits to compare me with. I promised him that I would give back more, and I’ve told him that I stop at the Parish at times when I walk home. But so far, up until now, I haven’t seen them. I remembered exchanging farewells with each other and brushing my hand to his son’s head.

            For so long now I’ve associated myself as a company, my principles and personal philanthropies as my vision/mission statement and values. I asked myself whether I may be able to live at least like I do now and see these people around me, hanging on to the chance that someone might help them, until they consult desperation to lead them to notorious ways of handling the situation. Seeing underserving people on the top, with the chance that they believe that people could be easily entertained by money, no matter how much, would crease the name of humanity in which they are not present of their humanity as it falls under the control of their own construct to the point that temptation is the only opportunity to what others might think of them. It turns now that everyone has fear instilled in the place of faith, fear directing them to further pain making them believe that faith is the residue and fear, the foundation. It’s such an irrelevant and vague factor to consider because of the specific things that are said to ought to be handled first when these are things that should be handled first. People are trying to solve the problems without scrutinizing every detail of the problem not even knowing whether it has a solution or we’ve just been complaining over and over again. What’s worse is, they try to do it with the notion of the thought that there are people who do not have good in them left, reinforcing their withdrawal to even come up with a solution.


            Social corporate responsibility promotes and performs great effects toward where we’d rather be, but the direct solutions must come from all of us no matter what kind, term or form of help one can offer as we must consider ourselves as a team. But with such situations and fear that doesn’t make it look feasible to remedy anymore, a reminder that tells us that there is still good in all of us can be a good start with some guidance by a leader, would be enough to make a sound finish. 

Contributed by: Jan Miranda, a student from Mapua Makati 



Disclaimer: This post was approved to be posted here by its author


No comments:

Post a Comment