Thursday, July 17, 2014

Going through Tough Times: My Story as a Volunteer (Part 1)

                                    
Robin Williams, in the movie Dead Poets Society, played the charismatic professor John Keating who inspired his students to become lovers of poetry to the point of living their best potential in their prime as young idealistic boys. This role played by the great actor inspired more educators to go beyond the normal mode of teaching to give their students a hand in growing themselves in wisdom through life experiences, rather than just growing their grades. After all, life is not defined by abstract concepts, but by the lessons that actual events provide.

Carpe Diem. This quote in the movie left an indelible mark to me as a High School student. The posted challenge to go beyond one’s limitations to get one’s desired goals gave me a sense  of perspective as to how do I would act upon the fulfillment of my personal vision. Of course, as a volunteer, I have tied my vision to public service.
Before watching that film, I was just your typical introverted student intellectual cowering through tons of reading material in the school library hoping to know every single fact this world would provide. During that time, I was already contented with the fact that I was performing well in my academics. I find it not necessary to take part of any student group since this would distract me from my pursuit for higher grades. Yes, this was what I though the only thing that I will and can do. It was not a good idea for me then to go out and venture, not until the weekly sessions with the kids.

My very first volunteer involvement was in a Day Care Center in Project 4 where I taught forty toddlers how to create their own stories through games. This was a requirement in school that I need to accomplish, hence the need for me to drag myself at first. In the first sessions, as young as they are, I started tickling their imaginations by inventing my own stories. Without a storybook in my hand, I started to create doodles of characters while dramatizing the story through my changing voices.

At first, the children found it weird to hear such narratives not found in any traditional story books. But, as I placed various elements together from alien space ships to flying animal creatures, the children started to laugh so hard that their favorite superheroes such as Astro Boy and Batman became part of the same universe. From the blue heavens to the black Makati skyline, my stories went around the world in the same rate as the children rolled in the floor in excitement of what would be the next scene of the story.

After doing this for five more times, the children can already relate the plots to the point that they are depicting the characters even during their free play times. I can’t believe how my characters gave them a space to dream their own scenes. When I was about to end my duty in the center, even though I was saddened to the fact that I would not meet them as regularly as before, I became joyful to the breakthroughs that happened to me and to the kids.

As they became more creative and attached to the stories, I then started to believe that through volunteerism, I was able to express my core gifts from God without expecting a return. It is by giving that I received the grace and the gift of purpose. Soon enough after this, I started to teach public school elementary students.

To be continued in another article.


Contributed by: Kevin Dela Cruz from Checkmyschool.org



Disclaimer: This post was approved my the author of this blog article

No comments:

Post a Comment