Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Every second counts

I am Kristine Bandilla from Lucena City currently pursuing Masters of Information Technology in Adamson University while working as the Project Manager for Web Support Team in our company which is based in my hometown. I was a member of Rotaract Club of Sacred Heart College and Rotaract Club of Pagbilao all throughout my college life, and became a member of the International Order of the Rainbow for Girls. 


During my college days, my life seems so boring I was a “skul-bahay” girl. My parents would not allow me to go out on my own. A driver would always come to bring me to school and bring me back home after classes. It came to a point that it saddens me to see my classmates and friends go out and party every night while I am just at home. 

So I thought of wanting to have my own awesome experiences and adventures. I became one of the altar servants (Sacristan) in our parish. I did not find my happiness and was not that fulfilled. I felt that there was something missing. Then, I met my boyfriend, whom he shares how wonderful life is. He was always telling me stories about what they do in DeMolay, his organization, and the whole Masonic family. I got inspired and motivated. I realized that through this organization, I can help others too and be of service to those who are in need. I did not regret joining the International Order of the Rainbow for Girls, a Masonic youth service organization which teaches leadership training through community service. Because of this organization, I even got more motivated to become a part of Rotaract Club where I saw life in a wider perspective and learned from the heart the meaning of our school’s tagline, “Sacred Heart College, where love is service”.
Here are some of the many community services I have participated and became a volunteer that were initiated by the organizations I am a member of:

  • Health Awareness
o   Iwas Dengue
o   Affordable but nutritious meals: Demo and Explanation
  • Feeding programs
  • Story telling
  • Teaching Program: Basic English and Filipino
  • Free haircut
  • Libreng patubig project in the Aeta Community
  • Free slippers to all children in the Aeta Community
  • Christmas party, Team Building
  • Gift-giving project for the working children at the port
  • Fun run
  • Clean-ups: River / Barangay / Coastal
  • Fundraising activities: Battle of the bands, homemade perfume, etc.
  • Livelihood activity
  • Reinstated Rotaract Pagbilao
  • Alay Lakad
  • Gift-giving of school supplies to day care students
As a member and volunteer of various organizations, I learned the true value of service. Volunteering makes my heart go stronger. The struggles from preparations up to the end of the activities were just worth it by just seeing the people smile. Happiness lies upon us. It is up to us how we are going to deal with it. It is up to us how we can make our life more meaningful despite the challenges that are ahead of us. Twenty-four hours is a lot. How much more if we have Three Hundred and almost Sixty Five days?
It is better to be of help than to be the one being helped out. Let us continue to share how wonderful life is. If you have a loving heart, surely, we can make this a better place. Together, we can make a difference. Every second counts.
                                                               
 Disclaimer: The author of this permitted us to post this online

No comments:

Post a Comment