Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Share What We Have Been Blessed With

            I am a Zamboangueña of Ilonggo parentage.  I come from a city located in the western part of Mindanao. The cultural history of my city is endowed with splendour that truly reflects our diversity. 

I am Lorraine Zoe Daiyne C. Carbon and was born in the City of Zamboanga.  My Dad and Mom are both Ilonggo who came to settle and work in Zamboanga City.  While I was still in high school at the Arturo Eustaquio Memorial Science High School, my parents already decided that I am going to have my college education in Manila.  True to their vision, I am now a 3rd year pharmacy major at the University of Santo Tomas.

            My mom Rosalie plays an influential role in my life.  She introduced me to the mission and vision of the International Order of the Rainbow for Girls (IORG). My Mom herself is a Rainbow girl, belonging to the Aphrodite Assembly of Marawi State University.  My motivation in performing my social responsibilities was greatly influenced by my Mom’s conviction of helping others who are in need.

            This year, I turned 18.  Just like any other girls of my age, I daydreamt of having a memorable debut celebration.  I told my parents about it and got their consent. The preparation on the details of my debut party over a year before my birthday, I recalled the numerous calls and myriad of exchange of short messages with my Dad and Mom-- even in the wee hours of the morning, on what I want for my debut.

Though my birth date was September 5, we collectively chose to have my debut on October 26 as it is within my semestral break from school.

            A month before my debut celebration, our city was physically and morally shattered by series of events. On the 9th of September, rogue separatists from the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) occupied five contiguous barangays.  Their presence caused terror and sowed havoc, raising to the ground 31,000 structures.  Our City became the ground of one of the fiercest battles in our modern times, between the government and the rogue separatists. Our City was paralyzed and was economically devastated.  It rendered thousands without food and shelter. The Department of Social Welfare and Services reported that 180,000 residents were displaced, consisting of 28,000 families. The armed stand-off between the government and the rogue separatists left more than 500 rebels dead, 22 military armed personnel dead, 18 hostages dead, and thousands wounded.  It lasted for 23 days, but left a permanent emotional and physical scar among us.  Just as we were starting to rebuild our shattered lives, another tragedy struck.  Continuous rain for almost one week left a great part of our City under water.  Many residents in low-lying areas of Zamboanga City were affected and had to be evacuated.

            The series of tragedy that struck our city made me reconsider my decision of having my debut. With a great resolve, I called my Mom and told her that with the current situation in our city, I will organize a feeding program in one of the evacuation centers instead of having a debut celebration, 

            With my fraternal sisters from the International Order of the Rainbow for Girls (IORG), I was able to share my day through a feeding program for all the children-evacuees taking shelter at the Zambowood Elementary School.  Thus, last October 27, I served arroz caldo for the evacuees together with the help of my fraternal sisters from the La Hermosa Assembly No. 28 of the IORG.  We also distributed basic hygiene kit for all the evacuees and entertained the children-evacuees with several games.



          All these years, I am used to being at the receiving end.  However, the horrible situations of my fellow Zamboangueños left me with the utmost desire to help them in my own little way—sharing with them what I have been blessed with.


In one of Pope Francis' homilies in the chapel of Casa Santa Marta in Vatican, he said “all the goods that we have, the Lord gives them to us to advance the world, to advance humanity, to help, to help others.”  I share Pope Francis' belief on helping others, especially those who need it the most.  I truly believe that it is our responsibility to share what we have been blessed with.  It is my conviction that we are all beings under one God, beings that are not yet but able to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment