Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Volunteering is Contentment


It was December 2014 when my friend, Angel, who is the Outreach Liaison Officer of the Mass Comm organization invited me to our org’s outreach program-semi-Christmas-party for the children of Hospicio de San Jose, a foster home for elders, children and children with special needs. At first, I was hesitant since it was only officers were required to go and it was a free day for me where I can rest and be free from school-related stuff, but I don’t know hit me and accepted her invitation.
It was just near SM Manila where I have felt a heartwarming experience and was given the opportunity to make these beautiful children happy. I will not forget my reaction when I first saw the children entering that covered court. I was teary-eyed on my sudden realization that I am very blessed for the life I have today, and because of sympathy I felt towards the children. I am saddened by the fact that they have special needs yet are away with their biological families who should be taking care of them. I tried not to be emotional but when I looked around, I saw my orgmates tearing up and so my tears fell as well. That emotional moment made me more enthusiastic in bringing them joy on that Christmas season.






The first game we played was ‘Stop Dance’ wherein an Ate (which is us) and one child will be partnered up. I forgot to get my partner’s name but he was very jolly and competitive during the game. Despite his condition, wherein he cannot stand or sit up straight, he played attentively. Also, I had to hold his hand in order to dance since he also could not control his sudden movements. Unfortunately we did not win but he said he had fun, and I did too.


After the games, they ate the Chicken joy and soft drinks that we brought for them. Some of the children needed t o be fed by their caregivers and some needed ostracized food in order to eat. After some were done eating, I amused them with a magic trick I can do with playing cards, and even taught them the secret behind it. I have never been so enthusiastic performing a magic trick until that day. Maybe because they were really hooked with my performance or maybe because I was too excited doing that little magic trick for them, either way I was glad that they enjoyed it.  After everybody had finished their food, it was time to bid farewell but after we performed a little song number for the kids. Since it was Christmas season, we sang the famous “Star ng Pasko,” the station ID song of ABS-CBN. And I was not surprised that almost everyone knows the lyrics and sang with us. It was just a moment of pure bliss for all of us. Making the kids happy and seeing them happy really made my heart melt.



I would say that, that free day was not put into waste; in fact it was the most productive and fulfilling free day of my college life yet. I never regretted and will not ever regret the day I accepted my friend’s invitation.  The original plan was making these children feel a little less lonely on Christmas season but I was the one who was touched by the event and made my Christmas season a lot more meaningful. This experience made me more grateful with my life, and made me realized to be contented with even the littlest blessing I receive every  day. From that day on, I told myself not to ever think twice when someone comes asking me to volunteer for an outreach program, because I know and guarantee myself that it would be a wonderful and fulfilling experience.

Contributed by: Ivanca Tangpos, a 3rd Year Mass Communication student from St. Scholastica's College- Manila

No comments:

Post a Comment