Thursday, August 7, 2014

Thomas S. Monson has said, “We discover something about ourselves when we learn about our ancestors.” On a related note, our National Hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal was remembered in saying: “Ang hindi marunong lumingon sa pinangalingan ay hindi makakarating sa paroroonan.”
Such were my thoughts and experiences when I accepted the call to serve as a Family History Support Missionary for FamilySearch.



I am Larry N. Caduada Jr., graduating from the University of the Cordilleras with a degree of Bachelor of Science in Information Technology. I am engaged in a myriad of volunteer work and leadership responsibilities, both in Church and in Society. I am also an Eagle Scout from the Boy Scouts of the Philippines. But among the many things that I have in this life, I am profoundly grateful of being a son and a brother in our family. I am the only boy in the family, and the eldest among 4 siblings. One can go as far in saying that I am their “Big Brother.”

Let me tell you about what I do. As I described earlier, I am serving as a FamilySearch Support Missionary. FamilySearch is a free service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [commonly known as “Mormons”]. FamilySearch’s commitment to helping people connect with their ancestors is rooted in the Mormon belief that families are meant to be central to our lives and that family relationships are intended to continue beyond this life. Because interest in family history is not limited by culture, ethnicity, or religious faith, FamilySearch’s resources are available to everyone who wants to discover more about their family and their heritage, from church records in Europe to oral histories in Africa.




As a non-profit organization, FamilySearch relies on the support of volunteers throughout the world. These volunteers help index records, provide personal assistance, and share their knowledge about genealogy research. [taken from http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/familysearch]
Being a Family History Support Missionary means being a part of a worldwide group of dedicated volunteers who assists patrons as they work to identify their ancestors and link families. We provide both guidance and answers to those who contact FamilySearch by phone, chat, email, or social media. All service is done in our homes using your own computer and telephones. Aside from this missionary service, I have volunteered as an Indexer. FamilySearch indexing is an online system where volunteers view a digital image of a record, then type in the names, dates and places listed on that record.  This digital data is used to create a searchable index that makes it possible for people to quickly find records about their ancestors. [taken from http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/fast-facts-about-familysearch-indexing]

Having accepted the call to serve in Family History since the age of 15, I have been blessed to have such an opportunity to use my education and my skills with the Computer and related technologies to be of help to people who are seeking for assistance as they learn about their deceased loved ones, and as they preserve memories of the past generations for the benefit of future generations. It has been a happy yet humbling moment for me to be serving others, and to see their joy as they learn from and make connections with their ancestors. I feel edified as they find such long-lost connections, and as they feel so grateful for having found and learned of those people who came before them.
I have also accepted different service opportunities and responsibilities, be it in Church, in School, and in the community. I have served as a College Governor, as a Mentor, a Trainer, a Coordinator and Organizer for different projects and activities, and many more. I accepted these tasks, responsibilities and callings because I see this as an opportunity to share my talents, skills and knowledge, for the improvement of the lives of others. I have that personal disposition of striving to make things better for those who are around me. It gives me a sense of fulfilment and gratitude to God, having been an instrument of being a blessing and an answer to someone’s prayer. It is an expectation for the present generation, that when we will leave this world, we have made it a better place for those who will come after us.

From these experiences, I have learned the importance of hard work and sacrifice, as well as the need of being sensitive to the needs of others, and to go for an extra mile for someone who may be in need of our help. It is also important to be a good follower, and a good listener. Being a Young Single Adult in the service, we work with fellow missionaries, volunteers, and even patrons who are advanced in their years. I just find it exciting and fulfilling to be working with these people who are loving and understanding, and who have much to offer to us, the rising generation, in terms of their wisdom and lessons from their experiences.

Another lesson that we can learn is the principle of optimism and gratitude. Life may be full of trials and challenges, but when we choose to be grateful and positive, life becomes better, and we gain the strength and the disposition to rise above our challenges. Focusing on things that matters most in our lives also greatly helps us. Dieter F. Uchtdorf has said: “If life and its rushed pace and many stresses have made it difficult for you to feel like rejoicing, then perhaps now is a good time to refocus on what matters most.” [taken from https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/of-things-that-matter-most?lang=eng]

It is also important to be a good leader. The world needs leaders who are willing to follow and listen, and who uphold moral principles. I am striving to follow examples of leaders who embody such principles. I believe that an effective leader can inspire confidence among his associates, and can help them build their own self-confidence and skills, and to become better at what they do. It is also important to be quick to learn and observe, and then quick to serve. Such is a wonderful principle that I have learned from a respected mentor and friend of mine.
It has been said that when one learns and understands who we are and where we came from, we can make this world a better place. I testify that this is true. I have seen that such understanding has changed my life for the better. It has made me grateful for my family and for their example, their love and their sacrifices that they have made so that we can be successful in life. It has also given me that perspective of placing importance on families, and to look forward for a bright future.
Being in the service of others is truly a wonderful blessings and opportunity for me because I know that as we strive to be in the service of our fellow beings, we are serving the Lord. And such service is truly worth it!!!

To everyone else out there, let us stand, wherever we are, for what is right. Let us be the forefront in serving others. There are people who are in need of our help. They need our help. They need us. As we work together, in our respective fields, skills and responsibilities, we can indeed make this world a better place for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment