Sunday, September 28, 2014

Changing the World One Word at a Time

In college, I went to a former all-girl school. It was during our batch when our university started accepting male students for all courses because it was only for Music students before.
 
Being part of a university paper was one of my goals, but I was also reluctant of joining because of my tendency to get bored with grammar and assessment tests. Good thing, I became friends with the EIC (but I didn’t know that she’s the EIC when we became friends) and stepping in the organization turned easy. Hence, I still had to take the exam but at least in zero anxiety anymore!
 
Another reason why I joined the organization is I really do not want to entertain the idea of running the college council. I was being wooed to run as officer, but I’d rather be in a tangible output-related field that’s why I took the newspaper group. Plus, we can enjoy the perks of a good office compared to other student council officers. We also got the immunity from events, meaning we can get in without paying for tickets and still getting the front row seat and back stage pass with just one big, reusable and authoritative PRESS ID.
 
A year later I joined, I became an editor for literary. While I was hanging out in the office one summer day, our EIC gave me a huge responsibility: to head the first literary folio that was taking eons to get published and was handed over by many people already.
 
Upon publishing the first issue, I gained popularity in school. And my newspaper column also became a hit. I enjoyed the status because I doubled my number of acquaintances. But what I really loved is that my column reflected the things that other students also want to say. It feels good to be a writer and be the voice of people. Finally, the meaning of “catalyst of change” found its sense. I write because it helps change perspectives, to provide actions.
 
What a divine medium.

Upon graduation, my first job was in the magazine publication of the marketing and advertising industry. My fondness for advocacy-related advertisements grew further when I began featuring those works. I told myself that someday I will do something like that.

I moved out, went to another firm where I learned other facets of cross industries. I learned that some companies use “goodness” to offset their offense to the society and the environment. Take, for example, tobacco.

Hence, we cannot always be ideal but we can provide alternatives. We cannot say that a certain industry is entirely bad because we have to face the truth that they help other people through employment. It is just really a matter of looking at different perspectives.

As a copywriter, I found myself not really tamed down in exposing the truth. Rather, it challenges me to say those things in a creative yet mentally stimulating way. It is art, science, and ‘heart’ altogether. All the creative life solutions that I present, especially with CSR Life, are meant not just to provide alternatives but also to continue moving people towards better living. It is meant to influence. It is meant to chage methodologies. It is meant to be an aid in reflecting how far we have gone to make this world a better place, one person and one decision at a time.


Contributed by: Lalissa Singson, a creative writer 


Disclaimer: This story was authorized to be posted online by its author

No comments:

Post a Comment