Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Being on the Right Path


            My experiences with CSR have not begun since I entered college. I had a course of NSTP (National Service Training Program) which exposed me to different communities outside my comfort zone. At first, I did not resent it but found not so much joy in it as well. I was in between. But then we started to participate in planting trees in Sierra Madre Mountain in Tanay, conduct story-telling activities in Pampanga, housing and livelihood activities in Onyx, Pandacan and other kinds of immersion.

            On our second semester, we coordinated with Dagonoy wherein we will be teaching children aged four to six years old. We had different activities such as story-telling, singing, teaching of basics such as counting and reading and playing games. The expressions of gratitude in both parties are highly evident and appreciated.

            In my sophomore year, I also had Lay Apostolate. It is NSTP’s prerequisite. I came to appreciate this even more because courses like this teach you to develop a sense of stewardship and concern for others. My favourite experience in Lay Apostolate was when we had students and do a one-by-one session once a week. I became really close to Colleen, my student, and she even gave me a letter on our last session.

            The same year, I had a volunteering experience on the Red Card Against Child Labor campaign of ILO (International Labor Organization). It was on RCBC and we asked for signatures for a petition. There was also a photobooth where the participants hold out the red card saying that they are against child labor. Participating with the said movement came with a free baller.


            When I reached my junior year in college, I took up the Principles of Development Communication course. My CSR experience under this course was when we coordinated with a community and explore their most evident developmental problem. The problem that we gave focus on was the livelihood for women. We coordinated with Jacinto and Lirio and DOLE (Department of Labor and Employment) to be able to address this problem. This course gave me a clear sign that I should pursue Development Communication as my minor track.



            My Educational Communication course gave me a similar experience. We pre-tested educational materials such as story books with colouring activities and the like to pre-school students from a daycare in Dagonoy. The community was really accommodating and the children were very cooperative. We have conducted this activity through the help of FNRI (Food and Nutrition Research Institute).

            Looking back to my CSR experiences, I realized that I am on the right path because I love what I am doing. It does not really matter when things get difficult at times because the feeling of fulfilment is incomparable when certain goals for your beneficiaries become fulfilled.

Contributed by: Danielle Jane Teston, a 3rd Year Mass Communication student from St. Scholastica's College- Manila 


No comments:

Post a Comment